Apart from avoiding the foods and beverages, there are also some lifestyle changes we can adapt to avoid heartburn
1. Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day and modify the types of foods we are eating.
2. Quit smoking
3. Put blocks under the head of your bed to raise it at least 4 to 6 inches
4. Eat at least 2 to 3 hours before lying down
5. Try sleeping in a chair for daytime naps
6. Don’t wear tight clothes or tight belts.
7. If you are overweight or obese, take steps to lose weight with exercise and diet changes.
8. Also, ask your doctor whether any medication could be triggering your heartburn or other symptoms of acid reflux disease.
9. A teaspoon of baking soda neutralizes stomach acid so that even if it comes up, you won’t feel that burning sensation. Mixing one teaspoon of baking soda with 8 ounces (2 liters) of water and drink all of it, and to repeat the same if needed.
10. People find relief with chewing sugar-free gums when they experience acid reflux conditions.
11. Bananas have natural antacid properties that counteract acid reflux. Eat a fully ripened banana each day to reduce the discomfort of acid coming back up. Sometimes to prevent any discomfort at night, eating an apple before a few hours of bedtime will certainly help.